Monday, September 29, 2008

Affirmations!

Today I am going to talk about Affirmations! I LOVE affirmations. Aside from imaging, affirmations are one of the cheapest, fastest and easiest ways to improve yourself. An affirmation is simply a “declaration that something is true”. For instance if I say, “the sky is blue”, I am affirming that the sky is blue.

So what does this have to do with you creating your awesome fantastic perfect life? When you constantly say positive affirmations to yourself it changes your internal self-talk to one that is more positive. Remember, your thoughts lead to your feelings, which lead to your ACTIONS so by talking more positively to yourself, you are going to take better actions. Also on a vibration level, positive affirmations put you into a positive state to attract positive experiences into your life.

Let’s try an example of this. Let’s say I have a friend named Monica who is overweight. Every day Monica says to herself such things as “I hate my body”, “Why am I so overweight?” “Is there anything I can do to lose this weight?” and so on. By constantly reaffirming this negative image of herself she is doing a few things 1) On a vibrational level, she is through the Law of Attraction, putting out a negative vibration to attract to her more of what she doesn’t like about herself. 2) She is reinforcing her negative self-talk about herself which is going to lead to more negative self-talk and more negative actions. 3) On a physical level she is strengthening the neural pathways of her brain associated with this negative image of herself which will make it harder for her to change this aspect of her life.

So what should Monica do?

First! She should have the image of herself as being healthy and in shape. As I’ve said in all of my previous talks, over 90% of what you do is subconscious so in this case Monica would need to retrain her subconscious to see herself as being healthy and in shape. Monica would need to spend a minute or so every day holding her new healthy image in her mind and really feeling the feelings as if it were real. As she’s feeling the feelings of this new image being real, two things are happening. 1) Monica is going to be attracting new positive experiences into her life associated with this new image and 2) She’s going to be strengthening the new neural pathways in her brain that are associated with this image. This will allow the image to manifest faster as the more emotion and feelings that images have, the more ingrained they become in your mind. Here is an example that self-help author Jack Canfield often uses in his talks to illustrate this point. He will ask his audience, “How many of you remember where you were when you heard about the September 11th attacks?” Almost everyone raises their hand. The event was so emotionally powerful that it became ingrained in everyone’s mind.

Now as Monica goes throughout the day she can use affirmations to nourish her new image. Whereas before she might have said something like “I hate my body” she can now say “I love my healthy new body”. If you were to say those affirmations to yourself right now, first the “I hate my body” and the second “I love my healthy new body”, you could immediately feel a difference in the vibration and feeling of the statements.

As Monica is going throughout her day saying these new affirmations about this new image, this new idea of a better body is going to form a concept in her subconscious. As your subconscious will go to work on whatever images you feed it, Monica’s subconscious will now go to work on creating this new image of her.

Now back to YOU! the reader. Here are some things to consider when making affirmations.

1. Make sure that any affirmations you say are positive. For instance:
I feel loved.
I feel good.
I am happy.
I am healthy.
I am wealthy.

These would all be possible affirmations you could use to keep your self-talk positive.

2. To really give your mind a positive jolt, make your affirmations descriptive. You can add in an adjective and a verb describing what is happening. For example you can say; “I am happily (adjective) cashing (verb) my $5,000 check”. What does this image put in your head? An image of you happily cashing a $5,000 check. So really make your images descriptive and as your saying your affirmation, visualize in your mind it taking place. By the way you can even take it farther then that: “I am happily driving in my white Mercedes CLK 350 with beige interior”.

Here is an example I used to use: “I am excitingly holding hands with my beautiful curly black haired girlfriend as we walk down the street.” Less then a week later I was walking down the street with my beautiful black haired (soon to be) girlfriend who I had just met some time before that.

Have fun with these! Create affirmations for whatever it is you would like to see in your life.

I am happily kissing my gorgeous girlfriend
I am lovingly hugging my daughter
I am joyfully cashing my $10000 commission check
I am happily dancing with my boyfriend.
I am playfully squeezing my girlfriend from behind
I am lovingly wrapping my arms around my wife
I am gratefully driving my brand new Mercedes.

You guys get the point. By the way, for any of you that are reading this and suffer from depression, one of the easiest ways to cure yourself is to start bombarding your mind with positive images and constant daily repetitions of affirmations. It will strengthen those neural pathways and brain cells in your mind that are of a positive type and have you focusing on the good in your life.

EXERCISE:

Write out ten affirmations that you would like to see manifested in your life.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

For the next 30 days I want you to read these affirmations to yourself twice a day and visualize in your mind the affirmations as taking place right now.

No comments: